My thanks to Rep. Suzan DelBene for informing the public about the GOP’s narrow-minded intent to require job training for SNAP (food stamp) recipients [“GOP plan to tie food stamps to job training is not ‘reform,’ ” Opinion, May 10].
According to the “Characteristics of Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Households: Fiscal Year 2015,” published by the USDA Food and Nutrition Service, nearly two-thirds of SNAP recipients were children, elderly or disabled nonelderly adults.
Multiple times over the past few years House Speaker Paul Ryan has spoken about Republican-supported proposals to cut SNAP benefits in half. This begs the question: Exactly which children, elderly and disabled nonelderly adults does Ryan want to starve?
Jeff Voltz, Blaine
Most Read Opinion Stories
- The new Seattle: Why I have to leave | My Take
- The new Seattle: Why I want to stay | My Take
- Seattle, it's time to take back City Hall | Op-Ed
- Robert Mueller, you’re starting to scare me | Frank Bruni / Syndicated columnist
- A missed opportunity for balance at Israel-Palestine forum in Seattle | Editorial