I have the greatest respect for U.S. Reps. Pramila Jayapal and Adam Smith, and I know that their hearts are breaking because of the horrendous spectacle of children being torn from their mothers’ arms.
However, their proposed U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement legislation is wrong.
There is absolutely no chance that the Republican-controlled House will even allow the bill to be debated, much less voted on. Paul Ryan and the Freedom Caucus will see to that.
Most Read Opinion Stories
- Trade war is costing Washington dearly | Editorial
- Combat Seattle’s street crime with treatment and housing, not jail | Op-Ed
- Michelle Obama tells her truth | Leonard Pitts Jr. / Syndicated columnist
- State school chief needs to lead and rein in local school levies | Editorial
- What happened in Starbucks isn’t really about Starbucks | Leonard Pitts Jr. / Syndicated columnist
President Donald Trump will rant and rave that this effort proves that Democrats want no immigration control, and instead advocate free and open borders, another Trump lie.
Trump has already said that immigration will be the main talking point for Republicans this fall.
Democrats should take him up on that and not let a day go by without showing what happened when the actions of the chaos-and-confusion president resulted in infants and toddlers being ripped from their mothers without having any plans in place to reunite them.
Vincent Baldini, Issaquah