I have the greatest respect for U.S. Reps. Pramila Jayapal and Adam Smith, and I know that their hearts are breaking because of the horrendous spectacle of children being torn from their mothers’ arms.
However, their proposed U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement legislation is wrong.
There is absolutely no chance that the Republican-controlled House will even allow the bill to be debated, much less voted on. Paul Ryan and the Freedom Caucus will see to that.
Most Read Opinion Stories
- Why we stay silent after sexual assault | Op-Ed
- Get I-405 flowing: Complete 16-year-old master plan now | Op-Ed
- Billions in new taxes and no guarantee of carbon reductions | Op-Ed | Con 1631
- 'Fossil dads' make great parents, gray hair and all | Op-Ed
- ‘Big Oil’ vs. clean energy and healthier communities | Op-Ed | Pro 1631
President Donald Trump will rant and rave that this effort proves that Democrats want no immigration control, and instead advocate free and open borders, another Trump lie.
Trump has already said that immigration will be the main talking point for Republicans this fall.
Democrats should take him up on that and not let a day go by without showing what happened when the actions of the chaos-and-confusion president resulted in infants and toddlers being ripped from their mothers without having any plans in place to reunite them.
Vincent Baldini, Issaquah