I have the greatest respect for U.S. Reps. Pramila Jayapal and Adam Smith, and I know that their hearts are breaking because of the horrendous spectacle of children being torn from their mothers’ arms.
However, their proposed U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement legislation is wrong.
There is absolutely no chance that the Republican-controlled House will even allow the bill to be debated, much less voted on. Paul Ryan and the Freedom Caucus will see to that.
Most Read Opinion Stories
- Trump and Pelosi: The legacies of their fathers | Op-Ed
- The real governments of Blue America | Paul Krugman / Syndicated columnist
- The mysterious case of relearning your ABCs at 65 | Op-Ed
- Microsoft steps up with game-changing support for housing | Editorial
- China official: Trade war puts Boeing and U.S. economy at risk | Op-Ed
President Donald Trump will rant and rave that this effort proves that Democrats want no immigration control, and instead advocate free and open borders, another Trump lie.
Trump has already said that immigration will be the main talking point for Republicans this fall.
Democrats should take him up on that and not let a day go by without showing what happened when the actions of the chaos-and-confusion president resulted in infants and toddlers being ripped from their mothers without having any plans in place to reunite them.
Vincent Baldini, Issaquah