This story announces an important measure that will offer us a chance to do something urgently necessary: put a price on fossil fuel. I hope this time we will actually do it. With a climate denier in the White House, and Congress moving slowly on this, states should act.
Our state can be the engine on this train and build momentum among other states, and eventually the federal government, to do the right thing: pass a carbon fee measure like Initiative 1631. Yes, money rolls in when bills must be passed. What is great about I-1631 is that it was developed with a broad coalition of constituents, including low-income advocacy groups. If you look at who is paying to oppose this critically important initiative, you see an oil company. That speaks volumes.
Let’s grab this opportunity to get a good start on a climate solution right here in Washington. We will lead the charge.
Most Read Opinion Stories
- United to save salmon and orcas | Op-Ed
- Congress should override new birth-control restrictions | Editorial
- Witnessing firsthand the cruel and inhumane treatment of asylum-seekers | Op-Ed
- Are we truly one paycheck from disaster? | Froma Harrop / Syndicated columnist
- Inspired by MLK, Womxn's March honors a new chapter for America | Op-Ed
James Morgan, Bainbridge Island