Secretary of the Interior Ryan Zinke is failing in his duty to protect the American public when he speaks out about preventing wildfires.
He ignores the chief reason we’re having more dangerous fires: climate change and the hotter, drier conditions being caused by excessive use of fossil fuels. Ninety-seven percent of peer-reviewed climate scientists agree that human activities are causing our climate to become noticeably warmer. Scientists within the Department of the Interior have found that hotter, drier conditions caused by climate change are the chief reason our fire seasons are now longer and more dangerous.
President Donald Trump, Zinke and the rest of the administration need to stop serving the fossil-fuel industry and start serving the American public.
John McNevin, Seattle
Most Read Opinion Stories
- The Seattle Times recommends: No on Initiative 1631 | Editorial
- Seattle Times editorial board endorsements for 2018 general election
- The Times recommends: Dino Rossi in the 8th Congressional District
- CON: Police officers at risk if Initiative 940 passes | Op-Ed
- Vote no on I-1639: Don’t criminalize self-defense | Op-Ed | Con 1639