Where will it end? With the Seattle City Council appearing to be so tax happy and drunk with power, and SDOT so over budget on pretty much all of its projects, including bike lanes, why not have a bicycle tax?
The City Council can pass that, right? But members wouldn’t dare upset the Cascade Bicycle Club or they’d never get donations for future campaigns, which will be failed ones, I’m sure.
If the council wants more bike lanes, tax the users. Mayor Jenny Durkan wants to tax anyone who drives downtown, why not the bicyclists too?
Rita Martinez, Seattle
Most Read Opinion Stories
- The new Seattle squeeze: room for renters, in-laws and Airbnb guests | Horsey cartoon
- Restoring salmon runs, not politics, will save southern resident killer whales | Op-Ed
- The Times recommends: Heidi Wills for Seattle City Council, District 6 | Editorial
- The Seattle Times editorial board's 2019 primary election endorsements | Editorial
- Dear Barack Obama, your country needs you | Karen Tumulty / Syndicated columnist