I’m a gun-violence survivor in favor of Washington state’s Senate Bill 5992. The bill to ban bump-stock kits was approved by the Senate in January and will be considered by the House Judiciary Committee Wednesday and Thursday.
In the space of 10 minutes, a semi-automatic weapon fitted with a bump stock was used to fire more than 1,100 rounds into a crowd of innocent people in Las Vegas. The shooter essentially used an illegal machine gun in the worst mass shooting in U.S. history.
The nearly 600 wounded, the assisting medical staff, police officers and the thousands of attendees at the music festival will deal with that day’s trauma for the rest of their lives. Words are inadequate to describe the anguish of the 58 families who endured the loss of their loved ones that day.
It’s time to close the loophole in our law by banning the bump-stock conversion kit.
Most Read Opinion Stories
- Seattle, it's time to take back City Hall | Op-Ed
- Seattle voters, sign referendum to repeal head tax | Editorial
- ‘Faith’ vs. Jesus’ example | Leonard Pitts Jr. / Syndicated columnist
- Reject back-channel attempt to defund Planned Parenthood | Editorial
- The art of distraction in Trump’s New-Truth era | Op-Ed
This is a straightforward, common-sense measure.
Catherine Person, Seattle