While “ ‘Liberal’ wrestler throws politics into ring” made for very entertaining reading, it raises an extremely important issue.
Appalachia suffers disproportionately from poverty and the opioid epidemic. This is a national disgrace. As a nation, blue and red, we should tackle this problem as if the region were a nation that needed our help. The Marshall Plan rebuilt Germany after World War II. Why can’t we rebuild Appalachia? However, the answer is not to reopen coal mines. Coal is passé.
If we really believe in America, we need to step up when part of the nation is down.
Don Rogers, Camano Island
Most Read Opinion Stories
- New Seattle-based icebreakers can't come soon enough | Editorial
- Stop worrying and learn to love Super Hawk Bolton? | Horsey cartoon
- Hard-line immigration policies have our Latino neighbors scared and traumatized | Op-Ed
- Yes, child-detention centers are concentration camps — where is our outrage? | Charles M. Blow / Syndicated columnist
- Deportation threats don’t fix immigration | Editorial