While “ ‘Liberal’ wrestler throws politics into ring” made for very entertaining reading, it raises an extremely important issue.
Appalachia suffers disproportionately from poverty and the opioid epidemic. This is a national disgrace. As a nation, blue and red, we should tackle this problem as if the region were a nation that needed our help. The Marshall Plan rebuilt Germany after World War II. Why can’t we rebuild Appalachia? However, the answer is not to reopen coal mines. Coal is passé.
If we really believe in America, we need to step up when part of the nation is down.
Don Rogers, Camano Island
Most Read Opinion Stories
- After 14 years, I’ve had it. I’m leaving Seattle | Op-Ed
- Pass I-1000 to restore affirmative action | Editorial
- Here's how Microsoft and UW leaders want to better fund higher education | Op-Ed
- Reducing energy use in aging buildings is worth the investment | Op-Ed
- Who do Jared and Ivanka think they are? | Michelle Goldberg / Syndicated columnist