I was a person who passionately supported Initiative 732 in 2016, canvassing for weeks on end to pass it. And like many others, I was profoundly disappointed that it did not pass.
If it had, Washington state, by this time, would have had in place a sound policy to reduce devastatingly harmful greenhouse-gas emissions and would be leading the nation in combating global warming.
But it’s time to move on, and we have another opportunity to put a price on carbon. Initiative 1631 will do just that, and it is broadly endorsed by environmental groups, social-justice organizations and labor unions. Carbon WA, the originator of I-732, supports it. Citizen’s Climate Lobby, a national organization that has effectively been working to pass a revenue-neutral carbon tax at the federal level, supports it. And we should as well.
Most Read Opinion Stories
- Trade war is costing Washington dearly | Editorial
- Small-town mayor schools Washington legislators on open government | Editorial
- Fear comes full circle to rouse the electorate | Op-Ed
- Combat Seattle’s street crime with treatment and housing, not jail | Op-Ed
- Career and technical education is win-win for students, job creators | Op-Ed
It’s time for all of us who care about the future of the planet to come together and support I-1631.
Mary K Stevens, Seattle