President Donald Trump is right the 14th Amendment needs to be reinterpreted. It, as your editorial clearly stated, was written (by Republicans to the chagrin of Democrats) to ensure citizenship for freed slaves at a time when travel to the U.S. was difficult and time consuming.
Now pregnant women come to the U.S. on a visa, give birth and go back to their native countries, giving their newborns all the rights and privileges of citizenship and few of the responsibilities.
It is time to revisit that amendment.
Michael Morrell, La Conner
Most Read Opinion Stories
- Don't believe 'Grey's Anatomy' or 'ER' — nurses' role underestimated, undervalued | Op-Ed
- Readers respond to editorials on Seattle's persistent crime | Editorial
- Seattle's persistent crime problem demands change | Editorial
- Real solutions to homelessness, addiction and crime require a balanced approach | Op-Ed
- 7 steps to restore Seattle's safety and civility | Editorial