True stories of when helicopter parents interfered with the hiring process.
Parents sometimes struggle when it comes to finding the right balance between the hands-off and helicopter styles of child-rearing. Here are examples of a few parents who may have erred on the side of hovering, courtesy of a recent OfficeTeam survey of hiring managers:
• The candidate opened his laptop and had his mother Skype in for the interview.
• One parent asked if she could do the interview for her child because he had somewhere else to be.
• A father asked us to pay his son a higher salary.
• One mom knocked on the office door during an interview and asked if she could sit in.
• A father called us pretending he was from the candidate’s previous company, praising his son.
• A job seeker was texting his parent the interview questions I was asking and waiting for a response.