COUNCIL BLUFFS, Iowa (AP) — Authorities say a 2-year-old girl found unresponsive along with her mother in a Council Bluffs apartment fire has died.
The Omaha World-Herald reports that A’Nyia Patton died Friday night at Children’s Hospital in Omaha, Nebraska, where she was taken after being found by firefighters in the burning apartment Wednesday morning.
An autopsy has been ordered.
The girl’s mother, 37-year-old Michelle Patton, remained in critical condition at the Nebraska Medical Center in Omaha.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Did you see that painting hanging behind Trump during ‘60 Minutes’ interview? Here's what we know about it
- This major discovery upends long-held theories about the Maya civilization
- Saudi government acknowledges Khashoggi was killed while visiting Saudi consulate
- If you win tonight's huge Mega Millions jackpot, here's what to do next
- Washington tops all states in anti-corruption ranking
Firefighters were sent to the blaze 9:30 a.m. Wednesday. Within minutes, they had the fire under control and found the mother and child in a bedroom. At the time, neither had a pulse and CPR was started to revive them.
The cause of the fire remains under investigation.
Information from: Omaha World-Herald, http://www.omaha.com