SMYRNA, Ga. (AP) — Police say a 14-year-old girl who went missing from a Maine foster home has been found safe in Georgia, and the man who took the teenager there has killed himself.
Police had been searching for Heavenlee Benjamin for more than a week before finding her Tuesday. She went missing from the Readfield, Maine, foster home late last month.
The Kennebec Journal reports Maine State Police were working with Georgia authorities to charge 35-year-old Robert Gooden with criminal restraint, but he died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound on Tuesday.
Police say Benjamin met Gooden online and she appears to have left the foster home on her own. She was found Tuesday morning in a home in Smyrna, outside of Atlanta. Police say they’re continuing to investigate whether other people were involved.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Jimmy Kimmel reacts to Spokane backlash proving Gonzaga's existence, then picks Zags to win NCAA tournament
- Mueller concludes Russia-Trump probe with no new indictments WATCH
- Witness describes death plunge of two Yosemite climbers
- Pakistan sentences Czech model to 8 years on drug charge
- Flight attendant detained by immigration on return to US