AHSWAUBENON, Wis. (AP) — A man accused of stealing a large crucifix from a church near Green Bay and using it to damage a sign outside a TV station is now facing disorderly conduct charges in Marathon County.
Police in Wausau arrested 29-year-old Brendan McSweeney following a disturbance at a restaurant Friday night. McSweeney is also charged with criminal damage to property and resisting an officer in that case.
McSweeney is suspected of walking into Nativity of Our Lord parish in Ashwaubenon earlier in the day, stealing the crucifix, then using it to bash a sign outside WLUK-TV.
Authorities say relatives have told investigators McSweeney has a mental illness and has not been taking his medication. He appeared in Marathon County Circuit Court Monday afternoon. Court records do not list an attorney for McSweeney.
Most Read Stories
- ‘Suddenly there is a Confederate flag flying’ in Seattle’s Greenwood area – well, not quite
- Washington state lawmakers make speedy move to shield their records from the public
- Meteorologists expect up to an inch of snow Friday in Seattle as cold-weather records fall
- Report: Washington state home to one of the largest cells of notorious white supremacist group WATCH
- Former Huskies star Markelle Fultz received $10K from sports agent before arriving at UW, report says
Information from: WLUK-TV, http://www.fox11online.com