A soldier from Joint Base Lewis-McChord died Saturday in Kandahar, Afghanistan, according to the Department of Defense.
Sgt. David V. Williams, 24, of Frederick, Md., is one of over 2,000 U.S. service members who have died in the war in Afghanistan. He had served there since April and was on his first deployment.
Sgt. Williams entered the Army in 2008 and had been stationed at Joint Base Lewis-McChord since 2011.
His awards and decorations include the Army Achievement Medal, Army Good Conduct Medal, National Defense Service Medal, Afghanistan Campaign Medal with campaign star, Global War on Terrorism Service Medal, Korean Defense Service Medal, Army Service Ribbon, Overseas Ribbon and NATO Medal.
Most Read Stories
- Sophomore quarterback Jake Haener leaves UW Huskies one week before season opener
- Spokane-native astronaut Anne McClain is under investigation for alleged space crime
- A year after officials called off search for hiker Sam Sayers, her mother is still looking
- Elizabeth Warren's Sunday town hall is moved to Seattle Center
- Analysis: Seven Seahawks with a lot on the line Saturday against the Chargers
The cause of his death is under investigation.