Lakewood police today identified the four officers who were involved in the fatal shooting Sunday of a Joint Base Lewis-McChord soldier near his home.
The officers are Jason Cannon, Dan Tenney, Brian Weekes and Michael Wulff.
The four officers had responded about 1:12 a.m. to a report of a man who had been shot or had shot himself in the street in the 4800 block of Yew Lane Southwest. The caller said the man was still moving and holding a firearm. As the officers arrived they saw a man sitting on the ground with a handgun in his hand.
Most Read Stories
- Researchers attach cameras to Pacific Northwest orcas, revealing a marvelous underwater world WATCH
- Coronavirus daily news updates, September 19: What to know today about COVID-19 in the Seattle area, Washington state and the world
- What health officials say you should do now that Seattle's air quality has improved
- Rain and westerly winds scour out wildfire smoke, and Western Washington air quality returns to normal
- After prostitution arrest, Seattle police captain got preferential treatment from fellow officers WATCH
Police ordered the man to drop the gun. Police said he refused and pointed the handgun at officers. Police opened fire.
Killed was Trent Lloyd-Thorpe, 32. Joint Base Lewis-McChord says he had arrived at the base in early October.
A preliminary autopsy report indicates that Lloyd-Thorp had an apparent self- inflicted gunshot wound to the head and was struck nine times by police gunfire, police said.
Neighbors said Lloyd-Thorpe had recently returned from Afghanistan.
The four officers involved in the shooting have been placed on paid administrative leave while the shooting is under investigation.
Lakewood police said Cannon has 10 1/2 years of police experience and has been with Lakewood police since June 2008. Tenney is a 10 1/2-year police veteran and has been with Lakewood police since December 2005. Weekes has been a police officer for 7 1/2 years and has been with Lakewood police since June 2006. Wulff, with 4 1/2 years of experience, has been with Lakewood police since May of this year.