KING 5 News was named “Large Market Station of the Year” in the 2013 National Press Photographers Association “Best of Photojournalism” contest.
It beat out five other finalists that included stations in such cities as Minneapolis and Denver. KING 5 also won the honor in 2011.
Judge Seth Voorhees said about the station’s entry:
“Everything was solid, spectacular, the stories had the most complexity. It was unbelievable, to pull it off and make it that good was amazing. There were a lot of different reporters and the quality didn’t drop off.”
Most Read Stories
- Washington may become first state to legalize human composting
- What an Olympic medalist, homeless in Seattle, wants you to know
- Watch: Brandi Carlile and Dave Grohl busk at Pike Place Market
- Renter boom: Apartments filling up faster in Seattle area than anywhere in the U.S.
- Analysis: A final accounting of Russell Wilson's deal shows why he called it 'a no-brainer'
The station’s entry included stories that ranged from “Bystanders taken down robbery suspect” to “Tourists peeved over small Pike Place Market bathrooms.”