KING 5 News was named “Large Market Station of the Year” in the 2013 National Press Photographers Association “Best of Photojournalism” contest.
It beat out five other finalists that included stations in such cities as Minneapolis and Denver. KING 5 also won the honor in 2011.
Judge Seth Voorhees said about the station’s entry:
“Everything was solid, spectacular, the stories had the most complexity. It was unbelievable, to pull it off and make it that good was amazing. There were a lot of different reporters and the quality didn’t drop off.”
Most Read Stories
- U.S. pilots flying 737 MAX weren't told about new automatic systems change linked to Lion Air crash
- Will Amazon's HQ2 sink Seattle's housing market?
- Starbucks laying off 350 people, mostly at Seattle headquarters
- After being fired, Lorena Martin levels accusations of racism at Mariners, who call them 'false'
- Multimillion-dollar art collection, once promised to SAM, now up for auction at Christie's VIEW
The station’s entry included stories that ranged from “Bystanders taken down robbery suspect” to “Tourists peeved over small Pike Place Market bathrooms.”