JUNEAU, Alaska (AP) — High school athletic teams in Juneau are getting a new mascot for three sports.
The football, wrestling and tennis teams draw athletes from all three Juneau high schools.
The Juneau Empire reports students chose Huskies as the mascot for combined teams. They also considered the Ravens, Miners or Phoenix.
Huskies has local historical roots. Athletic teams at Douglas High School were the Huskies before the school was combined with Juneau High in the 1950s.
Most Read Local Stories
- Washington may become first state to legalize human composting
- What an Olympic medalist, homeless in Seattle, wants you to know
- Mayor Durkan asks state to investigate why Yakima County Jail inmates were released into downtown Seattle parking lot WATCH
- Washington state senator draws anger after saying nurses probably spend time playing cards
- Permanent daylight saving time passes state Senate 46-2; here’s what’s next
Team colors will be black, silver and white.
Juneau-Douglas High School will remain the Crimson Bears for all other sports. Likewise, Thunder Mountain High will retain its Falcons mascot for sports other than football, wrestling and tennis.
Yaakoosge Daakahidi (yak-KOOS-gah dahk-ah-HEE-dee) Alternative is Juneau’s third high school.