OTTUMWA, Iowa (AP) — An Iowa man faces felony charges after officials say he drunkenly fired a rifle from the front deck of a camper hoping to bag a deer but instead shot a woman in her home.
The Iowa Department of Natural Resources says the shooting happened Friday in Wapello County.
The local sheriff’s office says a 73-year-old woman was cleaning her stove when she heard a loud noise and felt pain in the back of her head.
When she saw she was heavily bleeding, she drove herself to a hospital. Doctors later removed a bullet from the back of her head.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- House condemns Trump 'racist' tweets in extraordinary rebuke VIEW
- Diver stumbles upon a giant jellyfish as big as she is: Watch the video
- Here are the Republicans who broke with their party and other takeaways from the vote on Trump’s language
- Notre-Dame came far closer to collapsing than anybody knew VIEW
- Prosecutors want Mexican megachurch leader held without bail VIEW
Deputies believe 34-year-old Lee Joseph Ryals was the shooter. He’s charged with being a felon in possession of a firearm and reckless use of a firearm.
Court records don’t list an attorney who could comment on Ryals’ behalf.