LEBANON, Ind. (AP) — A northwestern Indiana man has been charged with felony neglect after police say a 3-year-old boy fatally shot his 4-year-old sister with the suspect’s gun.
Sixty-three-year-old Darrell Marberry of East Chicago was arrested last week and is being held in the Lake County Jail pending extradition to Boone County, northwest of Indianapolis.
Lebanon police have said Izabella-Marie Helem was being cared for by her grandmother Nov. 29 when her brother found a handgun and shot the girl in the head. She died five days later .
Police said Marberry left the handgun on the floor under a couch on the morning of the shooting. Marberry is the ex-husband of the grandmother and had been sleeping on the couch.
Most Read Stories
- License plate scanners were supposed to bring peace of mind. Instead they tore the neighborhood apart.
- Storm rips through Western Washington, killing two and leaving more than 100,000 without power in Seattle and beyond
- Two people dead after tree falls on their car near Issaquah in Sunday's storm
- Medicare Advantage is cheaper for a reason — beware
- Cargo ship on fire off Victoria, B.C., while combustible containers float in Strait of Juan de Fuca
Online court records don’t list an attorney who can comment on Marberry’s behalf.