HONOLULU (AP) — State sheriffs have arrested an Oahu Community Correctional Center detainee who was mistakenly released.
The Department of Public Safety says 25-year-old Winston Kailimai was mistakenly released Wednesday instead of being transferred to the state hospital.
He was sentenced Wednesday on a misdemeanor charge and released on probation, but was supposed to have been sent to the hospital after being found unfit to stand trial in a separate assault case.
Sheriffs received a tip that Winston Kailimai was located on Nimitz Highway near Sand Island at around 3 p.m. He was then arrested near the highway.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Confusion, then prayer, in cockpit of doomed Lion Air jet
- Extra pilot saved doomed Lion Air jetliner on next-to-last flight
- Jimmy Kimmel reacts to Spokane backlash proving Gonzaga's existence, then picks Zags to win NCAA tournament
- New Zealand just banned military-style firearms. Here's why the U.S. can't.
- Mueller concludes Russia-Trump probe, delivers report WATCH