HONOLULU (AP) — State sheriffs have arrested an Oahu Community Correctional Center detainee who was mistakenly released.
The Department of Public Safety says 25-year-old Winston Kailimai was mistakenly released Wednesday instead of being transferred to the state hospital.
He was sentenced Wednesday on a misdemeanor charge and released on probation, but was supposed to have been sent to the hospital after being found unfit to stand trial in a separate assault case.
Sheriffs received a tip that Winston Kailimai was located on Nimitz Highway near Sand Island at around 3 p.m. He was then arrested near the highway.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Statistic of the year: 90.5 percent of plastic is not recycled
- A Paradise fire cleanup crew joked about ruins and a charred cat. Then the town found out.
- 'Republicans will never stop': Obama rips GOP after Affordable Care Act is ruled unconstitutional
- Trump to 'review' case of Green Beret accused of murdering Afghan
- Retired Army general set to be tried on charges of abusing daughter