MALIBU, Calif. (AP) — Roberto Gallinat drained a 3-pointer to give Pacific the lead for good with just over a minute remaining as the Tigers held off Pepperdine for a 73-72 win on Saturday night.
Pacific (14-17, 4-12 West Coast Conference) made seven free throws down the stretch to secure the win.
Gallinat finished with 17 points and nine rebounds. Jahlil Tripp added 14 points while grabbing 10 rebounds and Jeremiah Bailey chipped in 15 points for the Tigers.
Pacific had a 32-28 lead at the break and led throughout until Colbey Ross drained a 3 for to give Pepperdine a 50-47 lead with 7:54 remaining. The Waves led going into the final minutes until Gillinat hit his last trey with 1:16 remaining.
Most Read Sports Stories
- Former Seahawks safety Earl Thomas finally explains that middle finger
- Mariners open 2019 season in Japan with strong offense and a win vs. A's VIEW
- No hard feelings? Mariners face challenge in how to part with Ichiro, Felix Hernandez | Larry Stone
- As the Mariners open 2019 season in Japan, Ichiro receives a fitting — if a bit awkward — hero's welcome
- The Mariners know 2019 will be rough. So do we. But a tantalizing future isn't far off. | Larry Stone
Ross finished draining 6 of 9 from distance for a career-best 36 points for Pepperdine (13-17, 6-10).
Pacific and Pepperdine will meet again on Thursday in the first round of the conference tourney.