A man escaped without serious injury when a commercial fishing boat exploded Friday morning on Lummi Island, according to the Bellingham Herald.
The boat, which was on a trailer, exploded just as the 41-year-old man started the engine around 8 a.m., Assistant Fire Chief Bill Hewett told the Herald. A small cabin in the boat blew off and landed in a nearby trailer.
The man suffered only a minor ankle injury when he was getting off the boat.
Hewett said vapors that had built up in the hull during fueling may have ignited when the engine was started, according to the Herald.
Most Read Stories
- Meet Loren Culp, the Republican gubernatorial candidate who wants to unseat Jay Inslee
- Instant analysis: Three impressions from the Seahawks' thrilling Week 2 win vs. the Patriots
- Coronavirus daily news updates, September 20: What to know today about COVID-19 in the Seattle area, Washington state and the world
- Pandemic scrambles the local job market: Despite deep unemployment, some employers still can't hire fast enough
- Researchers attach cameras to Pacific Northwest orcas, revealing a marvelous underwater world WATCH