A man escaped without serious injury when a commercial fishing boat exploded Friday morning on Lummi Island, according to the Bellingham Herald.
The boat, which was on a trailer, exploded just as the 41-year-old man started the engine around 8 a.m., Assistant Fire Chief Bill Hewett told the Herald. A small cabin in the boat blew off and landed in a nearby trailer.
The man suffered only a minor ankle injury when he was getting off the boat.
Hewett said vapors that had built up in the hull during fueling may have ignited when the engine was started, according to the Herald.
Most Read Stories
- Sophomore quarterback Jake Haener leaves UW Huskies one week before season opener
- Spokane-native astronaut Anne McClain is under investigation for alleged space crime
- A year after officials called off search for hiker Sam Sayers, her mother is still looking
- Elizabeth Warren's Sunday town hall is moved to Seattle Center
- Washington drivers who break "Move Over Law" could face $214 ticket this weekend — here's a refresher on the law