A man escaped without serious injury when a commercial fishing boat exploded Friday morning on Lummi Island, according to the Bellingham Herald.
The boat, which was on a trailer, exploded just as the 41-year-old man started the engine around 8 a.m., Assistant Fire Chief Bill Hewett told the Herald. A small cabin in the boat blew off and landed in a nearby trailer.
The man suffered only a minor ankle injury when he was getting off the boat.
Hewett said vapors that had built up in the hull during fueling may have ignited when the engine was started, according to the Herald.
Most Read Stories
- Washington becomes first state to legalize human composting
- Federal Way star Jaden McDaniels breaks silence, announces commitment to Washington
- Series of small earthquakes detected in Washington and Oregon
- Waterfront transforming before our eyes as viaduct comes down
- Amazon and CEO Jeff Bezos challenged on climate change. Here’s how shareholders voted on it and other issues.