SANTA ANA, Calif. (AP) — A judge has dismissed child molestation charges against a 98-year-old Southern California man with severe dementia because he may not have known what he was doing.
Kenneth Collins of Laguna Woods was arrested nearly two years ago and charged with committing lewd acts with two girls, ages 10 and 11. Prosecutors say he fondled them through their clothing, masturbated and took off his adult diapers to expose himself during their visit to his Leisure World home.
But the Orange County Register reports a judge dismissed charges on Thursday after concluding that his dementia raised questions about whether his conduct was intentional.
Prosecutors won’t refile charges.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Teen shoots girl in Maryland school, killed in confrontation VIEW
- Package bound for Austin explodes at Texas FedEx facility; second package recovered
- Ex-Playboy model sues to break silence on Trump
- White House celebrates birthday as Barron Trump turns 12
- Bones discovered on Pacific island belong to Amelia Earhart, new forensic analysis shows VIEW
His family says Collins spent a week in jail and a month in a medical ward before an anonymous person posted his $1 million bail.