CHICAGO (AP) — Police say a 5-year-old Chicago girl is in serious condition after she shot herself in the abdomen with a handgun that she found in her mother’s purse.
Police said Wednesday that the girl’s mother, 22-year-old Larrinita Starks, has been charged with child endangerment.
The shooting happened Tuesday night in the East Garfield Park neighborhood on the city’s West Side. Police say the girl got the gun from her mother’s purse in a bedroom.
Starks is due in court March 16. She doesn’t have a listed phone number and could not immediately be reached for comment.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Inside the world of Buy Nothing, where dryer lint is a hot commodity
- Cheney’s consultants are given an ultimatum: Drop her, or be dropped
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Biden's critics hurl increasingly vulgar taunts
- Far-right anti-government group grows significantly, report says
Police say the injured girl is in serious condition. Her grandmother, Oretha Miller, says the child is stable and recovering.