Injured right fielder Mike Cameron expects to miss the rest of the New York Mets' season while he recovers from a violent collision with...

Share story

NEW YORK — Injured right fielder Mike Cameron expects to miss the rest of the New York Mets’ season while he recovers from a violent collision with teammate Carlos Beltran.

Cameron said yesterday he was unable to breathe or talk for a few moments after colliding with Beltran in the outfield on Aug. 11 in San Diego.

“I don’t remember too much,” Cameron said. “I was out of it for a minute. I couldn’t breathe because I had blood coming out of my nose and my mouth at the same time. That was my main concern. Breathing, breathing. After that, I figured something was wrong because I couldn’t really function that well.”

Cameron, an ex-Mariner, broke both cheekbones and his nose in the collision and underwent surgery in San Diego. He also has a mild concussion and was placed on the disabled list.

Beltran has a cracked cheekbone and a mild concussion but decided not to have surgery and returned to the Mets’ lineup this week.

Cameron said he still has headaches, and half his face is numb.

“Everything is numb,” he said. “My right eye is filled with blood from one of the vessels in there broke. The braces in my mouth are really tight along with the screws in my mouth. I’m just trying to take care of myself, make progress.”

At first, Cameron said he hoped to come back to play again this season.

“But then they told me this is really serious,” he said. “So I had to take my hard-headed self and come to grips with (the fact that) I may not play again this year.”

He said his eyes are sensitive to the sun.

“It’s not like I’m healing a limb or something like that or a knee. These are my eyes,” he said.

Cameron said he couldn’t talk for two or three days after the collision because of the swelling on his face.

While he was in the hospital, several Padres came to visit.

“Trevor Hoffman came by with his jersey on, like what we do when we visit kids in children’s hospitals,” he said.

Cameron said his recovery has been slow.

“I’m doing OK,” he said. “Every day is different. … As soon as I was ready to get back on my feet again, everybody tells me I need to sit down. I can’t do too much.”

But Cameron doesn’t think the collision will change the way he plays.

“I’ll be fine,” he said. “I always play without fear. I try to play fearlessly. That’s just the way I try to play.”