Sunday's heavy rains caused several slides that mean Northline Sounder trains can't run until at least Tuesday evening.
BNSF Railway said Sunday it had interrupted freight and passenger traffic between Seattle and Everett due to mudslides resulting from heavy rainfall.
The railway hoped to have freight traffic running by midnight Sunday. Passenger traffic between Seattle and Everett, however, won’t resume until Tuesday evening, as BNSF enacted a 48-hour suspension as a precaution while its teams check on the tracks.
Company spokesman Gus Melonas said that three slides have obstructed the line, the largest of which took place five miles west of Mukilteo. “A 20 foot tree slid down to the tracks,” Melonas said. That slide is 10 feet deep and 20 feet long, and crews are onsite working on it.
Two lesser slides occured in the Blue Ridge neighborhood north of Ballard and at one point in the track one mile of downtown Seattle.
Most Read Local Stories
- Sammamish tops list of rich cities, so what do people there do for work? Here are the top jobs. | FYI Guy
- First of six weather systems rolls into Seattle area; at least a week of rain ahead
- Seattle, King County to stop taking plastic bags in recycling
- 'Totally avoidable': state faults, fines companies in collapse of Seattle tower crane in April VIEW
- 'Hunter killer assassins': Why the Boeing saga is the story of our times | Danny Westneat
Sound Transit said on its website that the Northline Sounder service would be canceled on Monday due to a mudslide.
Evening bus service for Monday:
All special direct service buses will allow pre-boarding at 5th Ave & Weller St. The buses will arrive at 4th Ave S. & S. Jackson St. for final boarding and departure at the times listed below.
Seattle – Edmonds: Special buses to Edmonds Station will depart 4th Ave S. & S. Jackson St. at 4:05 pm, 4:33 pm, 5:05 pm, and 5:35 pm. Riders may also board regularly scheduled Community Transit route 416 at 5th Ave & James St. at 3:57 pm, 4:27 pm, 4:58 pm, 5:31 pm, and 5:57 pm.
Seattle – Mukilteo: Special buses to Mukilteo Station will depart 4th Ave S. & S. Jackson St. at 4:05 pm, 5:05 pm, and 5:35 pm. Riders may also board regularly scheduled Community Transit route 417 at 4th Ave S. & S. Jackson St. at 3:09 pm, 3:59 pm, 4:22 pm, 4:50 pm, 5:30 pm, and 6:00 pm.
Seattle – Everett: Special buses to Everett Station will depart 4th Ave S. & S. Jackson St. at 4:05 pm, 4:33 pm, 5:05 pm, and 5:35 pm. Riders may also board regularly scheduled ST Express route 510 at 4th Ave S. & S. Jackson St. approximately every 10-15 minutes.
Edmonds – Mukilteo:
- Take Community Transit route 116 to Lynwood Transit Center
- Transfer to Community Transit route 113
Edmonds – Everett:
- Take Community Transit route 116 to Ash Way P&R
- Transfer to ST Express 532
Mukilteo – Everett:
- Take Everett Transit route 18 at Hwy 525 & Front St.