LORMAN, Miss. (AP) — Alcorn State University is saluting more than 350 graduates.
The university is hosting commencement Saturday morning at the Davey Whitney Health and Physical Education Complex on its Lorman campus.
Christy Pickering, an outgoing trustee on the College Board overseeing all eight of Mississippi’s public universities, is addressing graduates.
Pickering is a certified public accountant who was appointed to the board by Gov. Haley Barbour in 2008, representing the southern third of the state. She has served as a director of Hancock Holding Co. and Mississippi Power Co.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Trump administration to expand its power to deport undocumented immigrants
- Wray says FBI has recorded about 100 domestic terrorism arrests in fiscal 2019, many involving white supremacy
- Louisiana police officer on Facebook says Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez ‘needs a round’
- You downloaded FaceApp. Here's what you've just done to your privacy.
- Your election guide to every 2020 presidential candidate, comparing policy positions
Pickering earned a bachelor’s degree in in business administration from the University of Southern Mississippi and has worked in the field of accounting since 1983.
Alcorn State is also granting one or more honorary degrees, but declines to publish that information in advance.