LORMAN, Miss. (AP) — Alcorn State University is saluting more than 350 graduates.
The university is hosting commencement Saturday morning at the Davey Whitney Health and Physical Education Complex on its Lorman campus.
Christy Pickering, an outgoing trustee on the College Board overseeing all eight of Mississippi’s public universities, is addressing graduates.
Pickering is a certified public accountant who was appointed to the board by Gov. Haley Barbour in 2008, representing the southern third of the state. She has served as a director of Hancock Holding Co. and Mississippi Power Co.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Democrats subpoena Mueller report amid calls for impeachment
- 3 climbers presumed dead after Banff avalanche
- Man angry about virginity pleads guilty to threatening women
- A portrait of the White House and its culture of chaos, dishonesty VIEW
- Key takeaways from Robert Mueller's Russia report VIEW
Pickering earned a bachelor’s degree in in business administration from the University of Southern Mississippi and has worked in the field of accounting since 1983.
Alcorn State is also granting one or more honorary degrees, but declines to publish that information in advance.