MONTGOMERY, Ala. (AP) — A 16-year-old girl is facing criminal charges after she confessed to scrawling a threatening racial message on a school bathroom wall.
AL.com reports the incident happened Tuesday afternoon at Oxford High School in northeast Alabama. Oxford Police Capt. L.G. Owens says the message was racial in nature but couldn’t specify. It was directed at a group, not an individual.
The teen says she wrote the message because she wanted to see how school officials would react. The student has been suspended. She’s facing a charge of making a terroristic threat, which is a Class C felony in Alabama.
Owens says that school custodians found the message Wednesday while cleaning the stalls. They notified the police who reviewed surveillance footage to identify the student, who confessed to writing the message.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Did you see that painting hanging behind Trump during ‘60 Minutes’ interview? Here's what we know about it
- This major discovery upends long-held theories about the Maya civilization
- Saudi government acknowledges Khashoggi was killed while visiting Saudi consulate
- Mega Millions jackpot hits $1.6B, thanks to worsening odds
- If you win tonight's huge Mega Millions jackpot, here's what to do next