UPDATE 5:50 a.m. Friday: One young man has died and a second remains in critical condition after divers found them unconscious Thursday night in Green Lake in Seattle.
KIRO reports fire department rescuers took them to Harborview Medical Center. One had reportedly been underwater for 30 minutes and the other 45.
ORIGINAL POST: Two young men were in critical condition after being pulled unresponsive from Seattle’s Green Lake Thursday night, according to the Seattle Fire Department spokesman Kyle Moore.
Apparently four people were swimming in the lake when, for reasons unknown, they got into trouble. Two were able to swim ashore, but the other two disappeared under the water.
Most Read Stories
- Watch: Brandi Carlile and Dave Grohl busk at Seattle's Pike Place Market
- Washington state senator draws anger after saying nurses probably spend time playing cards
- Washington may become first state to legalize human composting
- Man's 8th DUI arrest is among Washington's most extreme cases of chronic drunken driving WATCH
- What an Olympic medalist, homeless in Seattle, wants you to know
Moore said witnesses on shore saw where the two went down and were able to tell divers from the fire and police departments where to look. Moore said low visibility in the water hampered the search. They men were found under 17 feet of water where the visibility was just 4 feet, Moore said.
The first swimmer was pulled out after about 30 minutes under water. The second after about 45 minutes, Moore said.
Both were unresponsive to ongoing CPR, Moore said and were taken to Harborview Medical Center.