UPDATE 5:50 a.m. Friday: One young man has died and a second remains in critical condition after divers found them unconscious Thursday night in Green Lake in Seattle.
KIRO reports fire department rescuers took them to Harborview Medical Center. One had reportedly been underwater for 30 minutes and the other 45.
ORIGINAL POST: Two young men were in critical condition after being pulled unresponsive from Seattle’s Green Lake Thursday night, according to the Seattle Fire Department spokesman Kyle Moore.
Apparently four people were swimming in the lake when, for reasons unknown, they got into trouble. Two were able to swim ashore, but the other two disappeared under the water.
Most Read Stories
- City Hall's idea of housing on golf courses? It turns out the people made a law against that | Danny Westneat
- Think carbs are the enemy? Your gut disagrees.
- Ranking 16 recent Seattle football coaches — from Don James and Pete Carroll to Tyrone Willingham
- White Center man convicted of rape accused of attacking victim days after his release from jail
- What does the Edwin Encarnacion trade mean for the Mariners? Depends who you ask. | Analysis
Moore said witnesses on shore saw where the two went down and were able to tell divers from the fire and police departments where to look. Moore said low visibility in the water hampered the search. They men were found under 17 feet of water where the visibility was just 4 feet, Moore said.
The first swimmer was pulled out after about 30 minutes under water. The second after about 45 minutes, Moore said.
Both were unresponsive to ongoing CPR, Moore said and were taken to Harborview Medical Center.