TUSCALOOSA, Ala. (AP) — A young mother has died after her car was hit by a train in Alabama.
Tuscaloosa Fire Marshal Gene Holcomb tells news outlets that 21-year-old Savanna Lee Smith, of Moundville, was pronounced dead at the scene after the train collided with her SUV on Thursday morning in Tuscaloosa County. She was the vehicle’s only occupant.
The Tuscaloosa News (http://bit.ly/2jrkrVl ) reports that Smith had a 2-year-old son and 1-year-old daughter.
Multiple agencies are investigating the crash.
Most Read Stories
- 'The Big Dark' is here as first of three storms rolls into Northwest on stretch of trans-Pacific moisture
- 'The Big Dark': Satellite image shows future rain clouds stretching from China to Puget Sound
- Boeing, reversing tide of cuts, rushes to bring back retirees as temps
- Bail set at $1M for uncle suspected of killing Lynnwood 6-year-old
- As Amazon’s deadline for HQ2 bids closes, speculation on winner heats up
This is the second fatal train crash in the county this week. On Monday night, 20-year-old LSU student Katie Keogh was fatally struck by a train while walking back from a bar after the College Football Playoff National Championship game.
Information from: The Tuscaloosa News, http://www.tuscaloosanews.com