MILWAUKEE (AP) — Milwaukee police say an armed suspect who was critically wounded in an officer-involved shooting last week has died.
The department said Friday that Alonzo L. Smith died from his injuries Wednesday evening.
The investigation has now been turned over to the Wauwatosa Police Department.
Milwaukee Police Chief Alfonso Morales said last week that officers responded to a report Oct. 10 of shots fired outside an apartment building on the city’s northwest side. They confronted the 31-year-old suspect and shot him after he refused commands to drop his weapon. The chief said the officers believed they were being fired upon. The two officers were not injured.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Where you're most likely to catch COVID: New study highlights high-risk locations
- A single word sparks a crossfire between the Supreme Court, NPR and its star reporter Nina Totenberg
- Reporter is hit by car on air, striking a nerve with TV journalists
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Last straw: Fed-up Arizona Democrats censure Sen. Sinema