Here’s what we know from the day of the attack:
- At least 84 killed, 202 hurt, and 52 critically injured after a truck plowed through 1.2 miles of a crowded promenade in Nice, France.
- Among the dead were more than 10 children and 2 Americans.
- President Hollande extended a state of emergency imposed after the Nov. 13 Paris attacks.
- Police identified the attacker as Mohamed Lahouaej-Bouhlel, a 31-year-old French-Tunisian with a police record but no known terror ties.
- France has called up thousands of reserve forces following the attack.
- No organization has yet to claim responsibility for the attack.
Updated July 15, 2016 at 12:20 pm
84 dead, 202 hurt as truck hits Bastille Day crowd in Nice
Video shot by witnesses shows the truck coming under police gunfire as it drives through an intersection along the palm tree-lined Promenade des Anglais, which had been turned into a pedestrian walkway for the independence day celebrations. Crowds flee in panic, taking shelter in shops, hotels or leaping off the elevated pavement onto the beach below. Police finally surround the stationary truck and fatally shoot its driver. Read more…
Updated July 15, 2016 at 3:32 pm
Most Read Stories
- A Washington county that went for Trump is shaken as immigrant neighbors start disappearing VIEW
- Seattle hits record high for income inequality, now rivals San Francisco
- Seahawks' Kam Chancellor likely out for season, report says, but Pete Carroll says nothing official yet WATCH
- Anthony Bourdain brought 'Parts Unknown' to Seattle — here's where he ate
- Kickoff time, TV info announced for 110th Apple Cup
An out-of-place truck, then screams as Nice attack unfolded
The rented 19-ton (21 U.S.-ton) truck zigzagged for 2 kilometers (1¼ miles) through holiday crowds like a snow plow, leaving a gruesome trail of crushed and mangled bodies. The 84 dead included French and foreigners, children and adults.
Updated July 15, 2016 at 3:12 pm
France calls up reservist forces after deadly Nice rampage
France called up thousands of reserve security forces Friday as authorities tried to determine why a Tunisian deliveryman known only to be a petty criminal took the wheel of a 19-ton truck and plunged through a terrified seaside crowd on Bastille Day, leaving 84 people dead and more than 200 wounded.
Updated July 15, 2016 at 12:53 pm
Brutal Nice truck attack hit smallest victims the hardest
The children’s hospital in Nice treated some 50 children and adolescents after Thursday night’s attack, including two who died in surgery. Five remained in critical condition Friday night, according to Stephanie Simpson, the communications director for the Lenval Foundation hospital.
Updated July 15, 2016 at 12:40 pm
After Nice chaos, relatives in agonizing search for missing
With many still searching for news of their loved ones after the attack, a Facebook site called “SOS Nice” attracted posts Friday from people hoping to be reunited with missing relatives. It quickly filled up with photos, appeals, and — in some cases — good news.
Updated July 15, 2016 at 3:37 am
Sean Copeland, 51, and his son Brodie, 11, of Lakeway, Texas, were on a European summer vacation that began with the running of the bulls in Spain.
“We are heartbroken and in shock over the loss of Brodie Copeland, an amazing son and brother who lit up our lives, and Sean Copeland, a wonderful husband and father,” the Copeland family said in a statement. “They are so loved.”
Updated July 15, 2016 at 11:08 am
Truck attack shows that French are not safe anywhere
By ramming his truck into a Bastille Day celebration of liberte and fraternite, the driver delivered a murderous message for France: No matter who you are or what you’re doing, you are not safe anywhere.
Updated July 15, 2016 at 2:14 pm
After Nice, feds say nothing left to chance at conventions
U.S. Secret Service officials say security planning for the Republican and Democratic national conventions took into account large-scale terrorism threats like the vehicle attack that occurred in France.
Updated July 15, 2016 at 10:26 am
Truck driver was not on terror list, France’s prosecutor says
Molins said Bouhlel’s estranged wife was arrested in Nice on Friday, while Bouhlel narrowly avoided being put behind bars months before the attack. He said Bouhlel had received a six-month prison sentence in March for a conviction for assault with a weapon, but other legal officials said his sentence was suspended because it was his first conviction. The weapon used was a plank of wood against another driver after a traffic accident.
Updated July 15, 2016 at 8:01 am
The Thursday night attack in Nice, France that left 84 dead may be the lowest tech, easiest entry point mass killing in recent history. And that’s cause for concern.
As Magnus Ranstorp, an international terror expert at the Swedish Defense College noted, “No training has to go into an attack like this. You get into the truck and turn the ignition and you’re armed and deadly. This is DIY terrorism, do-it-yourself terrorism.”
Updated July 14, 2016 at 11:01 pm
EWU President Mary Cullinan said 15 students are studying in France on a Faculty-led program through the school’s Office of Global Initiatives, according to a statement to the campus community obtained by KHQ TV in Spokane.