A man who ordered a pint of frozen chocolate custard in a dessert shop got a nasty surprise inside — a piece of severed finger lost...

Share story

WILMINGTON, N.C. — A man who ordered a pint of frozen chocolate custard in a dessert shop got a nasty surprise inside — a piece of severed finger lost by an employee in an accident.

Unlike a recent incident at a Wendy’s restaurant in California, no questions of truth have been raised about the finger served up to go at Kohl’s Frozen Custard and found later at home by Clarence Stowers.

The shop owner confirmed to state officials yesterday that one of his employees lost part of a finger in an accident with a food-processing machine .

Wilmington television station WWAY reported that Stowers found the finger in frozen custard he purchased Sunday night.

Stowers told the station he initially mistook the finger for candy but that when he spit it out he “just started screaming.”

Stowers said he planned to contact a lawyer.

Shop owner Craig Thomas said the employee who lost the finger had dropped a bucket while working with a machine that dispenses the custard. He tried to catch the bucket when the accident occurred.

Thomas told WWAY that several employees tried to help the injured worker and that a drive-through window attendant apparently scooped custard from the bucket into a pint before being told what had happened.

In March, a Las Vegas woman claimed she bit down on a 1 ½ inch-long finger fragment while dining with her family at a Wendy’s restaurant in San Jose, Calif.

Investigators have since called her claim a hoax and charged her last month with attempted grand theft related to millions of dollars of financial losses Wendy’s has suffered since news of her claim broke.