SYRACUSE, N.Y. (AP) — Work has begun on a 136,000-square-foot Expo Center at the New York State Fairgrounds outside Syracuse.
State Fair Acting Director Troy Waffner says the new center is part of plans to develop a major year-round events business at the fairgrounds.
The Expo Center will be the largest events facility north of New York City and between Boston and Cleveland. It will have 110,000 square feet of programming space with 4,000 retractable seats and room for 500 exhibit booths.
The center will be in the heart of the 375-acre fairgrounds in Geddes, on space created during the first phase of Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s transformation plan for the fair.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Bezos lashes out at Biden over call for lowering of gas prices
- 6 dead, 30 hurt in shooting at Chicago-area July 4 parade
- After Roe, architect of Texas abortion law sets sights on gay marriage and more
- Updated COVID shots are coming. Will they be too late?
- 3 feet of rain sets up 4th round of flood misery for Sydney
Officials say attendance at about 110 non-fair events in 2017 is on schedule to rise well above 2016’s total attendance.