EUGENE, Ore. (AP) — A 74-year-old woman has told a judge that she “snapped,” acknowledging she fatally shot her 93-year-old ex-husband in the head.
The Register-Guard reports that Carolyn Sue Stickley was sentenced on Tuesday to a mandatory 10-year prison sentence after pleading guilty to a reduced charge of first-degree manslaughter. She acknowledges killing Erwin Emerson Drake in February 2017.
Stickley called 911 after she shot Drake in the back of the head as he sat on a couch inside his home in Florence. She initially told authorities that she had killed her former husband during a struggle in which he had threatened to shoot her.
Stickley will receive credit for time served. She is expected to serve the next nine years in prison.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- The little-noticed surge across the U.S.-Mexico border: Americans heading south VIEW
- Jamie Oliver's UK restaurant chain collapses into insolvency
- Judge sides with Congress over Trump in demands for records
- Should Donald Trump be impeached? Americans organize to read Mueller report, reach their own conclusions
- Ex-partner of deceased skater Coughlin says she was abused
Information from: The Register-Guard, http://www.registerguard.com