EUGENE, Ore. (AP) — A 74-year-old woman has told a judge that she “snapped,” acknowledging she fatally shot her 93-year-old ex-husband in the head.
The Register-Guard reports that Carolyn Sue Stickley was sentenced on Tuesday to a mandatory 10-year prison sentence after pleading guilty to a reduced charge of first-degree manslaughter. She acknowledges killing Erwin Emerson Drake in February 2017.
Stickley called 911 after she shot Drake in the back of the head as he sat on a couch inside his home in Florence. She initially told authorities that she had killed her former husband during a struggle in which he had threatened to shoot her.
Stickley will receive credit for time served. She is expected to serve the next nine years in prison.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Dead in cars and homes: Northern California fire toll at 42 VIEW
- Scientists to study the 'modern miracle' of Ozzy Osbourne's survival
- New exercise guidelines: Move more, sit less, start younger WATCH
- Heart meeting features fish oil, vitamin D, cholesterol news
- Stan Lee, creator of a galaxy of Marvel superheroes, dies VIEW
Information from: The Register-Guard, http://www.registerguard.com