EUGENE, Ore. (AP) — A 74-year-old woman has told a judge that she “snapped,” acknowledging she fatally shot her 93-year-old ex-husband in the head.
The Register-Guard reports that Carolyn Sue Stickley was sentenced on Tuesday to a mandatory 10-year prison sentence after pleading guilty to a reduced charge of first-degree manslaughter. She acknowledges killing Erwin Emerson Drake in February 2017.
Stickley called 911 after she shot Drake in the back of the head as he sat on a couch inside his home in Florence. She initially told authorities that she had killed her former husband during a struggle in which he had threatened to shoot her.
Stickley will receive credit for time served. She is expected to serve the next nine years in prison.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Owner of 3D-printed gun company accused of sex with minor
- New round of US-China tariffs raise fears of an economic Cold War
- Trump Jr. mocks sexual assault claim against Kavanaugh
- Grizzly's rare aggressive attack kills 1, puzzles officials
- Kavanaugh's accuser wants FBI probe before she testifies WATCH
Information from: The Register-Guard, http://www.registerguard.com