PORT CLINTON, Ohio (AP) — Ohio authorities say a woman unable to escape an SUV that caught fire has died and her husband has been critically injured.
The State Highway Patrol reports a 2005 Chevy Trailblazer caught fire Friday afternoon near the Lakeside-Marblehead exit on State Route 2 in northern Ohio’s Danbury Township.
The patrol says 71-year-old Dennis Svihlik, of Garfield Heights, was sitting in the front passenger seat and rolled out of the SUV before it stopped, causing life-threatening injuries. He was flown to a Cleveland hospital.
Sixty-five-year-old Jo Ann Svihlik, who was driving, was pronounced dead at the scene.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Colin Powell dies, trailblazing general stained by Iraq
- Moderna vs. Pfizer: Both knockouts, but one seems to have the edge
- Colin Powell, warrior and statesman, dies of COVID complications
- Ted Cruz called an Australian vaccine mandate 'tyranny.' Then came the stinging response
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
State Route 2 was closed for more than three hours at the start of a busy holiday weekend in the popular Lake Erie resort area.