WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. (AP) — A Florida woman has been sentenced to life in prison plus an additional 30 years for killing her former partner’s 2-year-old daughter and causing her then-10-year-old son to overdose.
News outlets report that 43-year-old Kimberly Lucas was sentenced Tuesday after pleading guilty to charges of first-degree murder and attempted first-degree murder.
Lucas and Jacquelyn Jamason had been together for more than 20 years. The women were joined in a 2001 civil union but were estranged by May 2014. That’s when authorities say Lucas drowned Elliana Jamason in a bathtub at a Jupiter home and convinced Ethan Jamason to take anti-anxiety pills with coffee. The boy eventually woke up and found his dead sister.
Authorities say Lucas also tried to kill herself by overdosing on drugs.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Iraq broils in dangerous 120-degree heat as power grid shuts down
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Clu Gulager, rugged character actor of film and TV, dies at 93
- Russian men, dying in war, leave many families sad, angry and silent
- Flooding washes away Kentucky coal country stalwarts