SANTA ANA, Calif. (AP) — Authorities say the body of a woman found inside a refrigerator in a Santa Ana garage last week had been there for over a year.
The Orange County Register reports (http://bit.ly/22qeObm ) Santa Ana police Cpl. Anthony Bertagna says a couple who placed the body in the fridge told police the woman was Ricarda Reyes-Villalobos, a relative from Mexico under their care. They claimed they didn’t report her death to authorities because of their immigration status.
The body was found Dec. 17 by a homeowner who had been cleaning the garage.
The couple had been renting the garage before moving out in September. They told police they put the woman’s body in the refrigerator when she died in August 2014.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Mass. COVID-19 outbreak mostly infected the vaccinated, CDC finds; few needed hospitalization
- Forced to play in 'panties,' the Norwegian beach handball team decided they'd had enough
- 'Botched': Arizona GOP's ballot count ends, troubles persist
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Bacon may become scarce in California as pig rules take effect
The Orange County coroner has not yet identified the body.
Information from: The Orange County Register, http://www.ocregister.com