ANDERSON, S.C. (AP) — A bedridden woman and her dog have died in a house fire in northern South Carolina.
Anderson County Deputy Coroner Don McCown said it appears 65-year-old Myra Johnson was smoking in bed and the carpet in the room caught fire Thursday.
McCown says Johnson died of smoke inhalation. He says Johnson’s husband was at work at the time of the fire.
A home health nurse had been at the house around noon and Johnson had talked with her husband around 1 p.m. McCown says it appears the fire started around 2 p.m.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Battle for Warnock’s seat at center of US Senate power struggle once again
- Omicron loosens its hold, but 'this is a choose-your-own-adventure story'
- University mistakenly told 58 students they’d won full rides; it’ll pay their tuition anyway
- Hiker plunges 700 feet in the latest of many selfie-related deaths
- Bridge collapses, drops city bus into Pittsburgh ravine
The family dog died from smoke inhalation after it was taken to at a veterinarian’s office.
It’s the second fire death in Anderson County this week. Forty-five-year-old Kimberly Michelle Grant died in a fire at her home Tuesday.