STARKVILLE, Miss. (AP) — A woman has been charged with second-degree murder for the death of her newborn child.
The Commercial Dispatch reports 32-year-old Latice Fisher turned herself in and was arraigned Wednesday. She was indicted on Jan. 5 for her baby’s April 2017 death.
Oktibbeha County Corner Michael Hunt says Fisher tried to deliver the baby at home, but the child was then taken to a hospital while in cardiac arrest and pronounced dead. Hunt says the body was sent to a state crime lab last year, but he hasn’t reviewed the case since because he was unaware of Fisher’s indictment.
Fisher’s next court date is April 23. She could face life in prison or 20 to 40 years in prison if convicted.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- 'I believed we were going to die': An elevator in a Chicago skyscraper fell 84 floors, requiring a dramatic rescue of six people
- Homeless Samaritan tale raised $400K. Police say it's a lie
- Anti-vaccination stronghold in North Carolina hit with state's worst chickenpox outbreak in 2 decades
- Inmate's last words: 'Is it supposed to feel like that?'
- Couple killed in crash driving to their wedding
Information from: The Commercial Dispatch, http://www.cdispatch.com