NEW ORLEANS (AP) — A woman who authorities say stabbed her boyfriend in New Orleans is charged with second-degree murder after he died at a hospital.
News outlets report that 32-year-old Valencia Kelly is accused of stabbing 35-year-old Travis Thomas multiple times in his legs on Oct. 13.
The Orleans Parish Coroner’s Office says Thomas died on Sunday from “sharp force injuries.”
New Orleans police Detective Rayell Johnson said in an arrest warrant that surveillance footage showed Kelly lunging to cut Thomas with a knife.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- A single word sparks a crossfire between the Supreme Court, NPR and its star reporter Nina Totenberg
- An old Virginia plantation, a new owner and a family legacy unveiled
- A 12-year-old wrote his governor to oppose a gun law. A stray bullet killed him on Christmas
- Where you're most likely to catch COVID: New study highlights high-risk locations
- 'Whoa, that's not right': Georgia towns lead census appeals
A public defender has been appointed to Kelly’s case.
A single charge of attempted second-degree murder was updated to second-degree murder the day after Thomas died. At Kelly’s court appearance Tuesday, Judge Harry Cantrell increased her bond from $50,000 to $200,000.