EUCLID, Ohio (AP) — Authorities say the mother of a 4-year-old girl who died of a stroke from head injuries and the mother’s boyfriend have been charged with aggravated murder in the child’s death.
Twenty-three-year-old Sierra Day and 26-year-old Deonte Lewis were charged Tuesday in Euclid (YOO’-klihd) in the death of Aniya Day-Garrett. A judge set their bonds at $1 million each.
It couldn’t immediately be determined whether they have attorneys.
The Cuyahoga (ky-uh-HOH’-guh) County Medical Examiner’s Office says Aniya died Sunday at a hospital of a stroke caused by blunt impacts to her head and also was malnourished.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Boeing 787 flight reaches 801 mph as a furious jet stream packs record-breaking speeds
- Peter Tork, endearingly offbeat bassist and singer in the Monkees, dies at 77 VIEW
- Rare snow dusts Vegas strip, sticks to LA-area foothills VIEW
- 'I ruined my life. I ruined my future': Two American wives of ISIS militants want to come home
- US: Alabama woman who joined Islamic State is not a citizen
Police said paramedics were called to an apartment complex Sunday on a report of a child with burn marks who was unresponsive. Fire officials said there was no fire at the complex.