ROCHESTER, N.Y. (AP) — A woman in Rochester, New York, remains hospitalized with what police describe as “horrific” injuries after she was mauled by a pit bull before officers shot and killed the dog.
Police say 33-year-old Maria Schaffer is in guarded condition at a hospital Thursday, a day after she was attacked by a pit bull outside a home in Rochester. Officials say she suffered multiple wounds including extensive injuries to her arm.
Authorities say when police arrived about 1 a.m. Wednesday, Schaffer was naked and being mauled by the dog at the end of a driveway. Police say three officers fired several rounds at the animal, killing it but also wounding the dog’s owner, 34-year-old Jamie Cruz.
He suffered a gunshot wound to the torso and is in guarded condition.
Most Read Stories
- Retired Alabama cop on Roy Moore: ‘We were also told to ... make sure that he didn’t hang around the cheerleaders’
- A Washington syrah was named second best wine in the world
- Expect record-high temps, 'copious rain' in Seattle area as we head toward Thanksgiving VIEW
- Fake field goal? An errant challenge? Blame Pete Carroll for Seahawks' loss to Atlanta
- Bicyclist dies in hit-and-run crash in Sodo, police say