GULFPORT, Miss. (AP) — A Mississippi woman is accused of cutting a pacemaker out of her dead boyfriend’s chest and then stuffing his body in a trash can.
The Sun Herald reports (http://bit.ly/1kSNam4) that 63-year-old Christy Lee Zarrella had a preliminary hearing Wednesday on charges of tampering with evidence, failure to report a death and desecration of a corpse.
The paper says the decomposing remains of 87-year-old Edward A. Miller were found Oct. 22 in the backyard of a home Miller and Zarrella shared. Miller had been reported missing by a friend two weeks earlier.
Quoting a police affidavit, the newspaper reports that Zarrella told investigators Miller died of natural causes and she panicked and put his body in a trash can. The affidavit said some kind of tool was used to clip the wires off Miller’s pacemaker.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Goodbye passport stamps, hello biometrics: Customs is getting faster
- California sinkhole swallows third car as drivers ignore 'ROAD CLOSED' sign
- Pentagon: Chinese spy balloon spotted over Western US
- Police now say no evidence of planned big Hollywood shooting
- Deer could be a reservoir of old coronavirus variants, study suggests
Information from: The Sun Herald, http://www.sunherald.com