BENTONVILLE, Ark. (AP) — A 21-year-old woman has been sentenced to five years in prison after she pleaded guilty to manslaughter in the death of an 8-month-old Rogers girl she was babysitting.
According to the Northwest Arkansas Democrat-Gazette , Melissa Garcia-Rivera admitted in court Monday that she placed 7 pounds of pillows and blankets on top of 8-month-old Maisy Lane Hummer, which caused her death.
A probable cause affidavit says Garcia-Rivera told authorities that she placed Maisy in a toddler bed and put the pillows and blankets on top of her. The affidavit says the baby wasn’t breathing when Garcia-Rivera checked on her an hour later.
Garcia-Rivera said in court that she didn’t intend to harm the baby, and she apologized to the girl’s parents.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- An old medicine grows new hair for pennies a day, doctors say
- Part of a foot, in a shoe, spotted in Yellowstone hot spring
- Officials warn of misleading COVID rapid test results: Sick but 'negative'
- Colorado homeowner emptied pistol to kill bear that broke in
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
Information from: Northwest Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, http://www.nwaonline.com