MIAMI (AP) — Police say a man wanted by the FBI for kidnapping was fatally shot by officers after he fired an assault rifle at them during a confrontation near Miami International Airport.
The shooting happened Thursday night as police were assisting the FBI in the ongoing kidnapping case. A Miami-Dade police news release identified the man as 40-year-old Alexander Carballido. No other injuries were reported.
FBI spokesman Brian Waterman told reporters early Friday that the suspect was involved in a hate crime investigation. No further details about the case were provided.
Resident Alma Aguirre tells the Miami Herald the scene “was like a war” as she watched from her balcony.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Serial killer who took 10 women's lives executed in Florida
- Officials fighting U.S. measles outbreaks threaten to use rare air-travel ban
- Parents forget newborn baby in Hamburg taxi
- Harriet Tubman is already appearing on $20 bills whether Trump officials like it or not
- 3 dead, state capital battered as storms rake Missouri VIEW
Carballido was white. The names and races of the officers involved in the shooting weren’t immediately released.
The Florida Department of Law Enforcement is investigating.