MIAMI (AP) — Police say a man wanted by the FBI for kidnapping was fatally shot by officers after he fired an assault rifle at them during a confrontation near Miami International Airport.
The shooting happened Thursday night as police were assisting the FBI in the ongoing kidnapping case. A Miami-Dade police news release identified the man as 40-year-old Alexander Carballido. No other injuries were reported.
FBI spokesman Brian Waterman told reporters early Friday that the suspect was involved in a hate crime investigation. No further details about the case were provided.
Resident Alma Aguirre tells the Miami Herald the scene “was like a war” as she watched from her balcony.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- What happens when 25,000 Amazon workers flush toilets?
- 5 things to watch this week in the Mueller probe
- Trump threatens shutdown in wild encounter with Democrats WATCH
- 4 journalists and a newspaper are Time's Person of the Year
- 'Truth isn't truth' tops list of notable quotes in 2018
Carballido was white. The names and races of the officers involved in the shooting weren’t immediately released.
The Florida Department of Law Enforcement is investigating.