MIAMI (AP) — Police say a man wanted by the FBI for kidnapping was fatally shot by officers after he fired an assault rifle at them during a confrontation near Miami International Airport.
The shooting happened Thursday night as police were assisting the FBI in the ongoing kidnapping case. A Miami-Dade police news release identified the man as 40-year-old Alexander Carballido. No other injuries were reported.
FBI spokesman Brian Waterman told reporters early Friday that the suspect was involved in a hate crime investigation. No further details about the case were provided.
Resident Alma Aguirre tells the Miami Herald the scene “was like a war” as she watched from her balcony.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Trump campaign selling email and phone lists for millions of supporters
- Did you see that painting hanging behind Trump during ‘60 Minutes’ interview? Here's what we know about it
- Sen. Warren: DNA test shows I have Native American heritage
- Alec Baldwin urges 'overthrow' of Trump government via voting
- Prince Harry, Meghan expecting child in spring
Carballido was white. The names and races of the officers involved in the shooting weren’t immediately released.
The Florida Department of Law Enforcement is investigating.