MIAMI (AP) — Police say a man wanted by the FBI for kidnapping was fatally shot by officers after he fired an assault rifle at them during a confrontation near Miami International Airport.
The shooting happened Thursday night as police were assisting the FBI in the ongoing kidnapping case. A Miami-Dade police news release identified the man as 40-year-old Alexander Carballido. No other injuries were reported.
FBI spokesman Brian Waterman told reporters early Friday that the suspect was involved in a hate crime investigation. No further details about the case were provided.
Resident Alma Aguirre tells the Miami Herald the scene “was like a war” as she watched from her balcony.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Trump tests presidential power, declares emergency at border WATCH
- Unclaimed $1.5B prize: South Carolina could be big loser too
- Year in space put US astronaut's disease defenses on alert
- High-tech degrees and the price of an avocado: The data New York gave to Amazon
- Bombshell book alleges a Vatican gay subculture, hypocrisy
Carballido was white. The names and races of the officers involved in the shooting weren’t immediately released.
The Florida Department of Law Enforcement is investigating.