DAVENPORT, Iowa (AP) — As the Iowa caucuses draw near, Democrat Hillary Clinton is highlighting rival Bernie Sanders’ votes against tougher gun restrictions.
Her presidential campaign says Clinton will appear Saturday in Ames, Iowa, with Gabby Giffords, the former Democratic congresswoman from Arizona.
Giffords was gravely wounded in a shooting five years ago in Tucson, Arizona, and has become a prominent gun control advocate.
Clinton wants caucus-goers to make gun control a “voting issue.” She’s tried to portray Sanders as a National Rifle Association ally by citing his votes against a waiting period for gun purchases and for granting gun manufacturers legal immunity.
Most Read Stories
- Anthony Bourdain brought 'Parts Unknown' to Seattle — here's where he ate
- Residents fight Seattle rules allowing apartment developers to forgo parking
- Seattle’s crazy restaurant boom | PNW Magazine VIEW
- Cleveland Browns waive Kasen Williams, could a return to Seahawks be in the offing?
- UW's Azeem Victor suspended indefinitely after arrest
Sanders now supports efforts to repeal that immunity and says he’s been a tough opponent of the pro-gun lobby.
Polls show a tight race between Clinton and Sanders in Iowa.