LAFAYETTE, Ind. (AP) — The widow of an 88-year-old Indiana man whose body remained in his home for at least months after he died has been sentenced to two months in jail.
Fifty-six-year-old Ila Solomon also was given 100 hours of community service Monday and will remain under court supervision for six months.
She’d faced up to two years in prison after pleading guilty last month to failure to report a dead body and unlawful disposition of a dead body.
The Tippecanoe County coroner has said Gerald Gavan Jr. was dead for at least nine months when his body was discovered in May 2014. Solomon says he’d been dead only a few days.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Forced to play in 'panties,' the Norwegian beach handball team decided they'd had enough
- Why so many people have the worst summer cold ever
- Trans model makes Sports Illustrated swimsuit cover history: 'If you don't like it, you can go somewhere else'
- A giant red hamster wheel washed up on a Florida beach. And a man was inside
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
She says Gavan wanted his corpse eaten by birds like those of soldiers with whom he served in World War II.