LOS ANGELES (AP) — A lawyer for Harvey Weinstein on Tuesday called actress Rose McGowan’s claims of rape against the former Hollywood producer “a bold lie.”
Attorney Ben Brafman wrote in a statement that McGowan is trying to smear Weinstein to promote her new book “Brave.”
McGowan details her allegations against Weinstein in the memoir released Tuesday. She said in the book that the producer forced himself on her during what began as a business meeting at the Sundance Film Festival in 1997.
Scores of women have publicly accused Weinstein of sexual harassment or assault.
Most Read Stories
- Washington state lawmakers make speedy move to shield their records from the public
- ‘Suddenly there is a Confederate flag flying’ in Seattle’s Greenwood area – well, not quite
- Report: Washington state home to one of the largest cells of notorious white supremacist group WATCH
- KFC scrambles its name as it issues a 3-letter apology for its U.K. chicken crisis
- With former Husky Marcus Peters traded to the Rams, why were the Seahawks reportedly not interested?
Brafman’s statement says Weinstein and his attorneys “have refrained from publicly criticizing any of the women who have made allegations of sexual assault against Mr. Weinstein despite a wealth of evidence that would demonstrate the patent falsity of these claims.
“Watching the ‘performance’ by Rose McGowan as she looks to promote her new book however, has made it impossible to remain quiet,” the statement said.
Brafman says Weinstein denies McGowan’s claims. The attorney also cites correspondence from “two witnesses” to corroborate his client’s position: Entertainment manager Jill Messick and Oscar winner Ben Affleck.
The statement released through crisis management firm Sitrick & Co. also included several photos of McGowan looking cordial with Weinstein at an industry event in 2005.
McGowan responded on Twitter late Tuesday by calling out Weinstein by name, which she had pointedly refrained from doing.
“It is you (who) did this to us,” she wrote.
A representative for Affleck did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
Follow AP Entertainment Writer Sandy Cohen at www.twitter.com/YouKnowSandy